History
 
The church was founded by Rev. M. D. Owens in February 1959. He was preaching a revival in Vicksburg in early February. Billie Rutland attended the revival and recieved the Holy Ghost. She expressed her desire to see a Pentecostal church established in Hattiesburg to reach her unsaved family. Having a burden for Hattiesburg, Brother Owens came the same month and started the church in a storefront building located on North Main Street.
 
Brother Owens came to Hattiesburg when he was 26 and single. In the fall of 1959 he married Erma Middleton in Shreveport, Louisana. On December 12, 1960 their daughter, Jeanette Ann Owens was born at the Forrest General Hospital.
 
Some of the first members at the North Main Street location were: Vondell Napier, Annie Brewer, Thelma Brewer, Frances Parker, and Doris Owens. Doris, Brother Owen's sister, was instrumental in beginning the church.
 
Pastors of First United Pentecostal Church of Hattiesburg
 

Rev. M. D. Owens
Rev. Ferdinand Schexnayder
Rev. James King
1959-1963
1963-1969
1969-1975
Rev. Dan Gilbert
Rev. James King
Rev. Roy Craft
1975-1976
1976-1981
1981-Present